Monday 21 April 2014

Foundation Evaluation

Foundation Evaluation

After spending two years on a photography specific course I opted to join foundation as I wanted to make my images more artistic and learn how to be more creative with studio lighting, hoping that this would allow me to come away from commercial photography and to move into fine art.

Doing the exploratory stage of the course I found that drawing really is not my forte. However during this stage of the course I expanded my knowledge in creating shadow, texture and depth and how important these factors are within art. This has given me a new appreciation for fellow artists and their artistic ability. Within the silk screen process I learnt importance of colour, composition and a clean working process.  I also found that silk screen was a more efficient way of working for me than drawing as I was able to constantly develop my work and I learnt how important it is to speed up my development process if I am to go onto a career in the art and design world.

During the pathway section, I learnt how to be more creative with studio and location lighting and how to be more experimental with both props and concepts. It has helped me develop confidence within my ideas and putting them into practice. I have also grasped the skill of being able to make my thought processes easier to understand to others. This has practically become useful to me as I can now expand my options with the amount of knowledge I have and I now know the possibilities are endless. I am capable of so much more than before I started pathway and I have now learnt to transfer my knowledge from commercial to the more controversial fine art photography. I now realize that photography is a maze of ideas and opportunities.  

I believe my FMP was successful due to the combination of my white on white project in pathway and my final project idea. I found in my first project that the force behind each throw could create ether a masculine of feminine outcome and taking that into consideration I chose to continue using the dust within fmp because I liked how it could create an extension to the femininity within the image. I started off with just the basic beauty and movement of the female body, by adding the dust idea from pathway it has emphasized the graceful movements of the model and I believed it made a good series into a great series.


I believe that this course has given me a broader knowledge of both the photography and art industry as a hole and the different avenues that are available to me. My confidence has grown in all aspects of my work including shoots, concepts and final imagery and I now have a greater understanding for other artists and their work. It has given me the opportunity to expand my own techniques and ideas which in the future I will be able to call upon this new skillset. This year has given me a thirst for knowledge and taken me from my original plan of specializing in newborn photography and made me realize that my dream of being a fine art photographer really is attainable. 

No comments:

Post a Comment